Personal Expenses for Elizabeth May as Member of Parliament

by Craig Cantin | May 2, 2012 11:50 am

When Members are in travel status (meaning outside their riding), they may charge their travel-related accommodation, meal and incidental expenses to the Travel Status Expenses Account subject to certain conditions as determined by the Board of Internal Economy. Only Members’ expenses may be charged to this account. The Board of Internal Economy has set a maximum limit that Members may claim against the Travel Status Expenses Account.

Allowable Personal Claim
for 2011-2012
Secondary Residence Costs*
Travel Costs**
Per Diem***

Travel Status Expense Account includes the following claimable items:

* Secondary Residence costs CAN include the following:

Note that Elizabeth May only claims rent but does not claim phone, cable and utilities for the secondary residence.

** Travel Costs

The Member is allowed to claim all travel costs for travel within the province their riding is located and for travel to/from Ottawa.

Note that Elizabeth May absorbs the vast majority of travel costs within her riding personally.

*** Per Diem

A Member of Parliament is allowed to claim a per diem of $83.25 per day when outside the riding. Elizabeth claimed a total of 56 days in the 2011-2012 fiscal year, however she was outside the riding approximately 6 months of the 2011-2012 year.


Source URL: