Fall Parliamentary Internship Opportunity in Ottawa
by Elizabeth May | July 14, 2017 4:27 pm
PARLIAMENTARY INTERN POSITION
The Parliamentary office of Elizabeth May seeks a full time intern for the Parliament Hill office in Ottawa.
The mandate for this position is to assist Elizabeth May with her work as Member of Parliament for Saanich-Gulf Islands. Working closely with Elizabeth May’s MP team, the intern will gain a wide range of experience. This will include: monitoring parliamentary committees to keep the Member up to date, assisting with the submission of amendments to major legislation, coordinating and writing correspondence, and monitoring media. In the process of working on the Hill, the intern will learn about policy, parliamentary procedure and the inner workings of a Member of Parliament’s office.
Description of Duties
- Parliamentary Committees: working closely with the MP and Parliamentary Research Assistant, the intern will attend committee meetings on behalf of the MP, provide regular updates to MP about committee work, assist in research and helping in preparing lists of proposed witnesses, review legislation, and assist in the preparation of amendments.
- Correspondence: working closely with the Outreach Coordinator and Chief of Staff, the intern will prepare, and process, written replies on wide variety of policy issues.
- Meetings: the intern will attend meetings with MP to take notes and track action items arising from the meeting.
- Events and Requests: working closely with the Executive Assistant and Chief of Staff, the intern will assist in managing event requests and attending events with the MP.
- Case Work: working with the Constituency team, the intern will assist with Constituency case work as needed.
- Petition Processing: working with the Legislative Assistant, the intern will coordinate petition work in the office; writing petitions, submitting petitions to the Clerk, and preparing petitions for submission by the MP on a day to day basis.
- Reception: the intern will assist with reception duties and administrative matters in Hill office.
- Media monitoring: the intern will assist in keeping the MP and team up to date on new media items.
- Holds a university degree in any of the following disciplines: Political Science, Policy Studies, Environmental Studies, Communications, Public Policy.
- Possesses an ability to manage time and efficiently prioritize tasks in a fast-paced work environment.
- Has strong written and oral communication skills.
- Excels in working with a team as well as individually.
- Demonstrates initiative.
- Experience working in an office environment is an asset.
- Knowledge of politics in Canada is an asset.
- Bilingualism (French, English) is an asset.
- Familiarity with Green Party policies is an asset.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite.
Timeline and Application Process
This is a full time position starting in September 2017. The duration of the internship will be four months. This is a paid position.
Please submit a cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org to the attention of Debra Eindiguer.
Deadline to receive applications: Wednesday, August 2, 2017.
This job posting is available for download here.
Source URL: http://elizabethmaymp.ca/fall-internship
Copyright ©2018 elizabethmaymp.ca unless otherwise noted.