Statement on first anniversary of Quebec City mosque shooting

by Elizabeth May | January 29, 2018 10:57 am

January 29, 2018
(OTTAWA) — On the first anniversary of the mass shooting at the Grand Mosque of Quebec City on January 29 last year:

“Although it is very painful to recall the heinous attack that took place exactly a year ago today, we must never forget this dark episode in our history, which left six innocent Canadians dead – Azzedine Soufiane, Khaled Belkacemi, Aboubaker Thabti, Mamadou Tanou, Ibrahima Barry, Abdelkrim Hassane – and nineteen others injured. My thoughts are with the victim and their families, and my love and solidarity is extended to all our Muslim sisters and brothers across the country,” said Elizabeth May (MP, Saanich-Gulf Islands).

“The Green Party has been honoured to join numerous Muslim organizations, and a number of civil society organizations including Amnesty International, the Canadian Labour Congress, and the United Church of Canada in calling for January 29 to be recognized as a national day of remembrance and action against Islamophobia,” Ms. May said. “We will continue to support this initiative, and we call on others to join us in this act of solidarity.”

“It is a part of our Canadian values to embrace and understand all cultures that enrich our society,” said Daniel Green, Deputy Leader of the Green Party of Canada. “We must forcefully oppose all hatred and violence, and stand together with our Muslim neighbours at this difficult time of mourning and remembrance.”

At the invitation of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Ms. May and several fellow parliamentarians will travel to Quebec City this evening for a candlelight vigil to remember the victims of the attack and to stand united against Islamophobia. “I appreciate the Prime Minister’s offer of transport to the vigil in Quebec City,” she said. “At times like this, partisanship disappears as we stand in solidarity, lit by the candles of those who mourn this tragedy.”

Share

Source URL: http://elizabethmaymp.ca/publications/press-releases/2018/01/29/statement-on-first-anniversary-of-quebec-city-mosque-shooting/