Elizabeth is traveling to Dubai, United Arab Emirates as part of the federal government’s delegation to the 2023 UN Climate Change Conference (COP28), which will convene from 30 November to 12 December 2023 in Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE).
It will comprise:
- the 28th meeting of the Conference of the Parties (COP 28);
- the fifth meeting of the COP serving as the Meeting of the Parties to the Paris Agreement (CMA 5);
- the 18th meeting of the COP serving as the Meeting of the Parties to the Kyoto Protocol (CMP 18);
- the 59th meeting of the Subsidiary Body for Implementation (SBI 59); and
- the 59th meeting of the Subsidiary Body for Scientific and Technological Advice (SBSTA 59).
In a letter to parties dated July 2023, the Incoming Presidency announced that COP 28 will focus on four paradigm shifts:
- Fast-tracking the energy transition and slashing emissions before 2030;
- Transforming climate finance, by delivering on old promises and setting the framework for a new deal on finance;
- Putting nature, people, lives, and livelihoods at the heart of climate action; and
- Mobilizing for the most inclusive COP ever.