For all public data where there are no privacy, security, or other legal concerns preventing the data from being shared, data will be reviewed by the Privacy Commissioner of Canada via the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Document Act (PIPEDA) and made publicly available under the following conditions:
- With the highest level of granularity and detail possible which still maintains the privacy of individual citizens;
- In a timely fashion so that the value of the data is preserved;
- Accessible to the widest range of users for the widest range of purposes in a non-proprietary format;
- Machine processable and structured to allow automated processing, without having to mechanically harvest the data before using it;
- Non-discriminatory and available to everyone without having to register or self-identify as being interested in the data;
- With a license that does not encumber the user, and ideally without a license at all.