Elizabeth May, Leader of the Green Party of Canada and MP for Saanich–Gulf Islands, will testify before the Senate Standing Committee on Social Affairs, Science and Technology tomorrow as the sponsor of Bill C-442, An Act respecting a Federal Framework on Lyme Disease.
Date: Wednesday, October 22, 2014
Time: 4:15 PM (Eastern)
Location: Room 2, Victoria Building, Parliament of Canada
First introduced by Ms. May in 2012, Bill C-442 will establish a framework for collaboration between the federal, provincial and territorial Health Ministers and the medical community, along with patients and experts.
The bill is sponsored by the Hon. Senator Janis Johnson and was drafted in order to create greater awareness and prevention of Lyme disease, to address the challenges of timely diagnosis and treatment, and to push for further research.
Note: Elizabeth May will speak at the Wednesday meeting at approximately 4:15PM ET. To view her presentation which is being livestream, click on the following link:
List of Witnesses
Wednesday, Oct 22nd, 4:15PM ET
- Elizabeth May, sponsor of the Bill
- Dr. William Bowie, Professor of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, University of British Columbia (Association of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases Canada)
- Dr. Daniel Gregson, President (Association of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases Canada)
- Jim Wilson, President and Founder (Canadian Lyme Disease Foundation)
Thursday, Oct 23rd, 10:30AM ET
- Robbin Lindsay, Head, Field Studies, Zoonotic Diseases and Special Pathogens Division, National Microbiology Laboratory(Public Health Agency of Canada)
- Dr. Marc Ouellette, Scientific Director, Institute of Infection and Immunity, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Québec(Canadian Institutes of Health Research)
- Steven Sternthal, Director General, Centre for Food-borne, Environmental and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases (Public Health Agency of Canada)