This was the second week of the mixed virtual and in-person Special Committee on the COVID-19 Pandemic. MPs Paul Manly and Jenica Atwin joined remotely from their ridings of Nanaimo – Ladysmith and Fredericton, respectively. Elizabeth May stayed in Ottawa to cover two Wednesdays in person, and returned to Saanich-Gulf Islands on Thursday. Paul Manly will cover the next two Wednesdays. No new legislation was tabled but MPs continued to debate Canada’s response to COVID-19.
This week held many occasions, both sad and happy. Over the weekend, Green MPs mourned the six crew that died in the April 29th CH-148 Cyclone helicopter crash in the Ionian Sea. Saturday, May 2nd marked the 9th anniversary of Elizabeth’s historic election when she defeated a sitting member of the Conservative Cabinet as the second Green in the world to be elected under the First Past the Post voting system. May 5th marked the National Day of Awareness for Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls. Meanwhile, May 6th was the 75th anniversary of the Canadian Liberation of the Netherlands, which Elizabeth adressed in the House. May 6th was also Paul Manly’s 1st anniversary of being elected to the House of Commons.
In their questions this week, Green MPs continued to press the government on providing the most comprehensive benefits possible to small businesses owners, seniors, with a particular focus on senior women, and temporary foreign workers. As well, they urged the government to keep the climate crisis in mind while planning Canada’s economic recovery.
This evening, Elizabeth will host a community meeting by Zoom. Major (Retired) Charles Goodman, CD, one of the Canadians who liberated the Netherlands, now resident of Sidney, BC, will join the meeting to reflect on the 75th anniversary of that event.
On Wednesday, May 13th, please join your Green MPs for a bilingual webinar at 7:30 ET: What kind of world willl emerge after post-COVID-19. Click here for more information and to register.
Question Period and Member’s Statements
- Paul Manly: Help small businesses before corporations that evade paying taxes in Canada
- Paul Manly: Will Canada follow Taiwan’s example and supply masks to stop the spread of COVID-19?
- Paul Manly: Will the government increase the OAS?
- Paul Manly: Will the government plan the economic recovery with the climate crisis in mind?
- Jenica Atwin: Will the government address the specific needs of senior women?
- Jenica Atwin: Can the government commit to a federal strategy for long term care homes?
- Jenica Atwin: How will the government support Essential Worker’s mental health?
- Jenica Atwin: Will the government protect Temporary Foreign Workers?
Statements and Press Releases
- Green MPs push for increased funding for Canada Summer Jobs program
- No bailout for airlines until they give full cash refunds for COVID-19 cancellations, say Greens
- Greens ask health authorities to recommend face masks in public to limit infections
In Their Own Words
- Elizabeth May: The Reports of Oil’s Death Are Not Greatly Exaggerated (Policy Magazine)
- Elizabeth May: Good Sunday Morning – May 3
- Elizabeth May on CTV’s Power Play
- Elizabeth will appear in debate with former Premier of Saskatchewan Brad Wall on CTV’s Question Period on Sunday
- Paul Manly’s 1 Year Election Anniversary
- Elizabeth May: Exploring Virtual Parliament – How we conduct our duties in a pandemic
- Elizabeth May on the CKNW Radio’s the Lynda Steele Show
- e-2509 Top Up Wages for Essential Workers (closes May 22)
- e-2389 Reduce Water Pollution by Microplastics (closes May 22)
- e-2525 Eliminate Fossil Fuel Subsidies (closes June 15)
- e-2447 Open Competition for Research Funding (closes June 23)
- e-2450 Legalize the Transportation of CBD Products Across the Canadian Border (closes June 26)
- e-2416 Mandatory Labelling of Food Containing GMOs (closes July 4)
- e-2471 Grant the RCMP Funding for Body Cameras (closes July 16)
- e-2534 Amend the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (closes August 14)
- e-2565 Request that Israel Immediately Lift the Blockade on Gaza (closes September 4)
Contact Your MPs
- Elizabeth May (Saanich – Gulf Islands): 250-657-2000, email@example.com
- Paul Manly (Nanaimo – Ladysmith): 250-734-6400, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jenica Atwin (Fredericton): 506-452-
From Your MPs
Coronavirus Information & Resources
- Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan
- Government of Canada COVID-19 information – Updates, travel advisories, prevention, self-assessment
- World Health Organization
International Travel Information from the Government of Canada
- Financial help for Canadians outside of Canada affected by COVID-19: Avoid non-essential travel outside of Canada
- Government of Canada Official Global Travel Advisory
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Travel advice
Important Contact Information
- Federal Service Requests (CRA, CPP, SIN, Service Canada, Passport)
- Government of Canada COVID-19 Information: 1-833-784-4397
- If you are in quarantine and are seeking to waive the one-week EI sickness benefits waiting period: 1-833-381-2725 or via teletypewriter (TTY): 1-800-529-3742
- Emergency and travel assistance for Canadians abroad: 1-613-996-8855 or email@example.com
- Labour Program: 1-800-641-4049 (toll-free) or via teletypewriter (TTY): 1-800-926-9105