Week in Review: March 23 – 27
On Friday, March 13th, Members of Parliament unanimously agreed to suspend Parliament until April 20th in response to the COVID-19 crisis. MP Jenica Atwin (Fredericton) represented the Green Caucus when Parliament reconvened on March 24th. After hours of negotiation, a reduced number of MPs passed emergency measures that will provide financial assistance to Canadians impacted by the virus. Jenica Atwin finally addressed the amended bill and asked questions at 5:30 am.
Green MPs have been busy working in their ridings. They have remained connected with key Cabinet Ministers as they work across party lines to help constituents stranded abroad, and those seeking financial assistance at home. They are also asking questions in daily briefings being held for Parliamentarians.
All three MPs constituency offices are open for business but closed to the public. They are taking phone calls and emails but no in-person appointments.
Below you will find a list of resources and information, including important phone numbers and the latest government announcements. Green MPs will post regular updates in their websites and social media as new information becomes available.
For further updates on Elizabeth’s activities, you can visit her website, follow her on Facebook, and on Twitter. For updates on Paul’s activities, visit his website, follow him on Facebook, or on Twitter. For updates on Jenica’s activities, follow her on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
Jenica Atwin drove ten hours from Fredericton with her husband and two sons to be In Ottawa for the reconvening of the House
Question Period and Member’s Statements
- Jenica Atwin on the amended COVID-19 emergency aid package: Canadians need better protections
- Jenica Atwin: regional inequality and access to emergency supplies in the COVID-19 emergency aid package
Statements and Press Releases
- Greens call out oil and gas companies for ignoring pandemic safety measures in work camps
- Parliament pulls all nighter to pass COVID-19 package
- Greens urge government to declare Public Welfare Emergency
- Canada’s small business ownders need urgent support, says Green Party
- Greens support Liberals unprecedented financial measures announced today
- Now is the time to implement Gauranteed Livable Income for ALL Canadians, says Green Party
- Green Party says US citizens should be included in new border restrictions
- Greens agree with all-party consensus to suspend House of Commons due to COVID-19
In Their Own Words
- Elizabeth May – Good Sunday Morning March 22
- Elizabeth May – Good Sunday Morning March 15
- Elizabeth May – Global pandemic, what will our legacy be this time? (National Observer)
- Jo-Ann Roberts (Interim Leader of the Green Party of Canada) and Mike Schreiner (Leader of the Green Party of Ontario) – Basic Income is the answer in a COVID-stricken economy (Toronto Star)
- Paul Manly – Front Line Workers Rock!
- Elizabeth May on CTV News Power Play (starts at 24:45)
Contact Your MPs
- Elizabeth May (Saanich – Gulf Islands): 250-657-2000, Elizabeth.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Paul Manly (Nanaimo – Ladysmith): 250-734-6400, email@example.com
- Jenica Atwin (Fredericton): 506-452-4110, firstname.lastname@example.org
From Your MPs
Coronavirus Information & Resources
- World Health Organization – Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak
- Government of Canada COVID-19 information – Updates, travel advisories, prevention
- Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan – Information for individuals and businesses
- EI Sickness Benefits related to COVID-19
- Employment and Social Development Canada
International Travel Information from the Government of Canada
- Financial help for Canadians outside of Canada affected by COVID-19: Avoid non-essential travel outside of Canada
- Government of Canada Official Global Travel Advisory
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Travel advice
Important Phone Numbers
- Government of Canada COVID-19 Information: 1-833-784-4397
- If you are in quarantine and are seeking to waive the one-week EI sickness benefits waiting period: 1-833-381-2725 or via teletypewriter (TTY): 1-800-529-3742
- Emergency and travel assistance for Canadians abroad: 1-613-996-8855 or email@example.com
- Labour Program: 1-800-641-4049 (toll-free) or via teletypewriter (TTY): 1-800-926-9105