Office of Elizabeth May seeks a full time intern for the Parliamentary office in Ottawa.
The mandate for this position is to assist Elizabeth May with her work as Member of Parliament for Saanich-Gulf Islands. Working closely with Elizabeth May’s MP team, the intern will gain a wide range of experience; monitoring parliamentary committees to keep the Member up to date; assist with the submission of amendments to major legislation; coordinate and write correspondence and monitor media. In the process of working on the Hill, the intern will learn about policy, parliamentary procedure and the inner workings of a Member of Parliament’s office.
“As the first elected Green Party Member of Parliament and as Leader of the party, I have an ambitious Parliamentary agenda.
As an MP, I have a right to attend any and all committees, without being a member of any of them. As a result, I also have, as of right, the ability to propose amendments to legislation at Report Stage. The opportunities for academic programs are as varied as the committees of the House of Commons. My office needs a full team of interns. Each will be asked to attend a specific committee, track its work, assist in research and help in preparing lists of proposed witnesses, review legislation and assist in the preparation of amendments.
I am committed to providing a rich and inspiring experience to our interns.”
Elizabeth May, O.C., M.P. for Saanich-Gulf Islands, Leader of Green Party of Canada
Description of Duties
- Attend Parliamentary Committees: attend committee meetings on behalf of MP, provide regular updates to Member about committee work, assist in research and help in preparing lists of proposed witnesses, review legislation and assist in the preparation of amendments. Work closely with Member and Parliamentary Research Assistant.
- Coordinate mail correspondence: write and coordinate responses (while creating templates), and follow up on requests as needed.
- Assist Riding team with Constituency related work as needed.
- Monitor media and prepare media clippings for internal distribution.
- Work with Parliamentary Legislative Assistant and Parliamentary Research Assistant as needed on development of private member’s bills and petitions to be tabled by Member.
- Assist Member with tasks as requested.
- Assist Chief of Staff and Outreach Director as requested.
- University degree in any of the following disciplines: Political Science, Policy Studies, Environmental Studies, Communications, Public Policy
- Ability to effectively estimate time and meet deadlines.
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Proven dedication to the Green Party, or proven commitment to ideals represented by the Green Party
- Excels working with a team and individually. Demonstrated ability to take own initiative.
- Experience working in an office environment is an asset
- Ability to manage time and efficiently prioritize tasks in a fast paced work environment
- Parliamentary experience and knowledge of politics in Canada is an asset
- Bilingualism (French, English) is an asset
- Familiarity with Green Party Policies is an asset
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite
Remuneration and Timeline
This is a full time position starting early February 2013 or possibly earlier. A modest monthly stipend is offered. The duration of the internship may vary but ideally February to end of June.
Please submit a CV/Resume and a letter of intent by email to [email protected].
Deadline is Wednesday, January 16th, 2013